Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Spray Inks and Stars

I sure had a battle with this particular piece!  The word Music has been put on with molding paste, so it's raised, and picked up the colours of the inks as they dripped down from the top of the canvas.  When I started working on this I had painstakingly stencilled the words with black molding paste.  However, some letters came through cleaner than others and by the time I got to the beginning of the word Problem - I had had enough of smudges and such.  So, I took a paint scraping blade and took all the words off, re-stencilled them onto paper with a sharpie, placed them over their "original" spots and highlighted them in white.  Once the words were on, then I took a painted with someMedium Matte gel from the top to the bottom so that the spray inks flowed down the page and over the words.  Believe me, this is not how I had first envisioned this page, but I'm happy with it - especially since the gel helps the colours to pop!

For this piece I painted the background with two purples and a metallic silver by dragging the colour with a card. Once it was dried I added strips of some current Designer Series Paper from Stampin'Up! at different lengths.  The original paper was a silver marbled look, but by the time I highlighted the pieces they turned purple and blended in with the background.
To be honest, the choice of orange and pink stars was really a matter of begin lazy at the time and not wanting to make a matching gelli print - which is just as well because I really like how these stars pop off the page too.  It was a brave choice to go with, but I'm glad I did.

Create something everyday - and be brave!
Joan

No comments:

Post a Comment